Meet the Sleep Nurse
Are you exhausted? Are you tired of frequent night awakenings and dreaming of the day when you and your family can sleep through the night?
As a mom of twin boys, I’ve been there (but lets be real here….sometimes life still happens!). Still, I can vividly remember the days spent breastfeeding (or trying to), offering bottle top ups and pumping trying to ensure my boys were fed, and that I had enough milk.
I was lucky if I could get an hour to sleep between the twins’ feedings – and that was assuming I could fall asleep in the first place. My insomnia was a whole other issue.
This was not maintainable. I wasn’t coping. I was miserable, during a time that was ‘supposed’ to be joyous.
But it got better. I read a lot about sleep. I started to add a rhythm and routine to my days.
I reached out for support, and tried the many sleep tools that I have taught as part of my career as a mental health nurse. And guess what, it worked. We started sleeping better. My boys were rested, I was rested, and my husband was happy.
A spark was lit inside me. I could do this!
I began helping my Mommy friends, and soon their babes were sleeping better. The feeling was priceless. I was hooked, and took the (big and scary) leap to private practice. In truth, it wasn’t really that big of a leap. My career as a registered psychiatric nurse, laid the perfect foundation. I already had the skills, I just needed the inspiration and drive to make a change. Having kids was the boost I needed.
I have worked in the health care field for nearly 15 years. My experience is varied from crisis intervention and acute mental health, to case management. More recently, I have specialized in providing education and care to families and individuals with developmental disabilities. Sleep deprivation, and sleep disorders have been a common theme throughout my career.
Post Secondary Education:
• Certification as a Holistic Sleep Coach – Babyem (in progress)
• Certification as an Infant Sleep Educator – Bebo Mia
• Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing – Stenberg College *awarded for top academic performance with a 94% average
• Bachelor of Arts in Psychology – Vancouver Island University *with distinction
• Diploma in Criminology – Vancouver Island University
• Registered Psychiatric Nurse – Interior Health & Fraser Health (2011-Present)
• Child & Youth Mental Health Outreach Counsellor – NARSF Programs Ltd. (2010)
• Community Support Worker – Nanaimo Supportive Lifestyles Ltd. (2006-2010)
• Addiction Support Worker – Edgewood Treatment Centre (2006)
• Crisis Intervention Worker – Kuu-Us Crisis Line (2005-2006)
• Health & Wellbeing in Children, Youth, and Adults with Developmental Disabilities Conference – UBC, Vancouver, B.C.
• Safety Management & Violence Prevention Training – Various
• Trauma Informed Practice Certification – Interior Health, Kamloops, BC
• Consent and Legal Issues in Mental Health – Gerrit Clements, Williams Lake, B.C.
• Dementia in Persons with Developmental Disabilities Conference – UNBC, Prince George, B.C.
• Mental Health and Developmental Disability Training – Child and Youth Mental Health, Richmond, B.C.
• Motivational Interviewing Training – Vancouver Island Health Authority, Nanaimo, BC
• Stress and the Family: Widening the Lens (Bowen Family Systems Conference) – Living Systems, Vancouver, B.C.
• Trauma with Children and Youth Workshop – Nanaimo Family Life, Nanaimo, B.C.
• Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training Certificate (A.S.I.S.T.) – Living Works Education Inc., Nanaimo, B.C.
• And More…